Monday, April 13, 2015

the Spotlight: Female Fronted Bands (FFB)

HELLO FRIENDS!!!! (wow, this is SO violent, I am so sorry, just a little bit enthousiast I think... Or I drank way too much soda...)

Anyways, I am here to do this little series, that I decided to give the title: 'the Spotlight'. It is where I'll take the chance to talk about an artist, album, tour, person, movie, book, etc. that in my opinion deserves a spotlight. I really wanted to kick-off with a very special one, and no better way to start with this one!

I hope you'll enjoy all of these series as much as I love to write them! Let's do this:

I decided to start off with talking about Female Fronted Bands (or FFB as I'll refer to) because they are so important to me. Bands are huge these days, but 9/10 of the bands you'll hear about won't have a woman in them. It is quite upsetting as it honestly is my dream to become a lead-singer in a band and representation is so important. There are huge female bands out there like Paramore and Evanescence, but I also want to focus on bands that are a little harder to find (as Paramore and Evanescence get played on the radio). As I don't listen to Evanescence (sorry!) I'll focus on 4 FFB that I do listen to: Paramore, PVRIS, Tonight Alive and We Are The In Crowd.

Paramore


Paramore is a band from Franklin, Tennessee. The band was formed in 2004. They are probably the most famous with hits like "Misery Business", "Decode", "The Only Exception", "Still Into You" and the Grammy-winning "Ain't It Fun".


Their front singer is the beautiful Hayley Williams (who has a golden voice, let's be honest). She always wanted to be in band and she was offered a record deal when she was only 14 (!!!!). She refused because she would get in the pop industry and she didn't want that.


Paramore is the biggest FFB on the planet and Hayley always makes sure that Paramore gets seen as a band, not as Hayley Williams and others. She is totally kicking it as a band and they are HUGE. I hope that one day I'll be standing in her shoes (kind of, like she is smaller and probably has smaller feet, but I wasn't talking about real shoes. This was an unnecessary comment. Please, read on).


Paramore is a strong band, about to keep growing and growing... Some of the places that I'd love to play one day (that they've played!):

*Madison Square Garden
*Hollywood Bowl
*Reading Festival
*Rock Am Ring



Hayley Williams shows to me that if you have a message, a voice, and a dream you can be in band and you can make it. 



Tonight Alive


Tonight Alive is a band from Sydney, Australia. The band was formed in 2008. They are doing a great progress in the rock industry. Their last album The Other Side was amazing and they have been supporting All Time Low on their latest tour.They have also played several festivals and done several tours. Their most popular song is "Lonely Girl" which I absolutely love. 


The lead-singer is Jenna McDougall and to be compeltely honest with you guys... I don't know much about her. I do know that she is a very strong and beautiful person. She totally kicks it when she's on stage. She has an amazing voice (I'd so sell my soul to have a voice like hers) and if I were you I'd keep an eye on her and Tonight Alive because these will be even bigger than they already are!


Jenna McDougall has taught me that if I want something I should fight for it no matter what and that I have a voice worthy to share with the world.

We Are The In Crowd


We Are The In Crowd is a band from Poughkeepsie (this is a real thing omg), New York. The band was formed in 2009. They are honestly amazing. Their most famous track is "The Best Thing (That Never Happened)" and their latest single "Manners" is pretty fucking good. I know them from "Grenade" (a Bruno mars cover that is so worthy listening). They have a collaboration with Alex Gaskarth (lead-singer of All Time Low) on one of their singles (they actually did a remake of it just to feature his voice) and that song is called "Kiss Me Again".


Their lead-singer is Tay Jardine and she is amazing. I totally love her because she is so cute yet so punk. She has a beautiful voice and she knows how to treat a crowd (and her clothing is always on point, just like her hair)


Tay Jardine taught me that my differences are useful and that I should work really hard on what I really want.

PVRIS


PVRIS (pronounced "Paris") is a band from Lowell, Massachusetts. The band was formed in 2012. I only discovered them recently and they are amazing! They are still small but man, they'll get their big break... They have a unique sound that is really attractive. They have only one EP out called "White Noise", with "St. Patrick" and "My House" being the most famous songs of the record. Recently, they released a new video for "White Noise". 


The lead-singer is Lynn Gunn. She is still very young (21) and she has a soft voice BUT ALL OF A SUDDEN SHE CAN SOUND LIKE A BADASS WOMAN YOU DON'T WANT TO FUCK WITH. I would love to see her evolve on stage but she already kicks it! (PS: I love her hair)


Lynn Gunn has taught me that hard work takes its time to pay off and that being weird is a cool thing.


So that was it! Those where the 4 bands that deserved a spotlight! I hope you'll check them out and I can't wait to see them grow! All by all these women show to me that girls can also rock. Representation by this women means the world to me and I take a lot from my inspiration from them. One day I hope that I'll be on one of these lists as well.

Lots of love,
Xo






No comments:

Post a Comment